- 250 ml (1 C) castor sugar
- 315 ml (1¼ C) cake flour
- 45 ml (3 T) cocoa powder
- 15 ml (1 T) baking powder
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
- 80 ml (⅓ C) sunflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 125 ml (½ C) hot water
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Pear Halves in Syrup, drained and sliced
- to decorate: chocolate ganache or chocolate icing
- Mix the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, vanilla essence and hot water until well combined. Add the liquid slowly to the dry ingredients, whisking continuously into a lump-free batter.
- Arrange the sliced Rhodes Pear Halves on the bottom of a microwave-safe cake pan. Pour the batter over the pears, tapping the pan gently to remove any air bubbles.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on full power for 7 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the microwave and allow to stand for 5 minutes in the pan. Then remove the plastic wrap and turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating with chocolate ganache or icing.
Be careful of the hot steam which escapes when you remove the plastic wrap.