- 1 kg firm white fish, skinned and deboned
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- sunflower oil for frying
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 190 ml (¾ C) white wine vinegar
- 125 ml (½ C) water
- 15 ml (1 T) mild curry powder
- 2.5 ml (½ t) ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 30 ml (2 T) Rhodes Apricot Jam Superfine
- 6 peppercorns
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 10 ml (2 t) brown sugar
- Trim the fish into even-sized pieces and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onions until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside. Fry the fish in oil in the same pan for a few minutes on both sides until just cooked, then set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, curry powder, turmeric, bay leaves, Rhodes Apricot Jam, peppercorns, lemon rind and sugar. Bring to the boil, whisking well then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Place the fish and the onions in a large jar or dish and cover with the sauce. Cool and refrigerate overnight before serving.