The unflavoured Rhodes bean range includes Butter Beans, Red Speckled Sugar Beans and Green Beans. Simply drain and rinse and these products are ready to eat. Before you do though, why not add some extra flavour with our fantastic bean recipes?
Part of being successful in the kitchen is learning which flavours go together and, sometimes more importantly, which flavours absolutely do not. Knowing where to start when putting together new flavour combos is a great help on days when you are staring into your fridge and feeling unenthusiastic about cooking.
For the most part, all the different varieties of beans have a few ideal flavour pairings in common. There are also flavour combos which are specific to certain beans and not others, but in this handy easy reference guide, we will stick to the ones that compliment any of the beans in our range.
Top tips for flavour pairing with beans
- Building a strong base flavour when making a stews, soups or casseroles is so important. When beans are involved start with these: carrots, celery, garlic, lemon, onions, leeks, tomatoes.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of quality oils, vinegars and basic pantry ingredients in cooking. When making dressings for salads, or dips, or finishing off soups and stews made with beans use these: olive oil, butter, sour cream, yoghurt, cream.
- Beans pair well with other proteins too: cheese, bacon, lamb, chicken, ham hocks, smoked sausages and pork knuckle.
- Handfuls of fresh herbs add interest and flavour to any dish. With beans use: marjoram, mint, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme.
- Beans can handle spice so well. Heat things up using: sweet paprika, chili, cumin, coriander, cayenne.
- Looking to add something a little more adventurous? Try: almonds, mustard, orange, pecorino cheese, wild mushrooms, anchovies.
Beans can be used in salads, soups, stews, casseroles and dips. Choosing flavours to compliment them will help you to make the most of their versatility.
Here are a few recipes to help you get started.
Rhodes Bean Recipe Round-up
Lamb & Butter Bean Curry
Robust and filling, this meat, rice AND potatoes dinner dish is perfect for dads.
Lamb & Butter Bean CurryGet this recipe
Spiced Butter Bean Dip
Eat this smooth and spicy butter bean dip with flatbreads, or spread it on sandwiches instead of butter for a tasty snack.
Spiced Butter Bean DipGet this recipe
Courgette, Feta & Butter Bean Salad
A crisp and light green salad to accompany a braai or a main dish.
Courgette, Feta & Butter Bean SaladGet this recipe
Spicy Vegetarian Nachos
Share these spicy vegetarian nachos with dinner guests to get the party going.