- 30 ml (2 T) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200 g bacon
- 1 x yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 x red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g button mushrooms
- 1 x 410 g can Rhodes Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 125 ml beef stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750 ml (3 C) cooked pasta (shells or fusilli)
- 250 g biltong, sliced
- 200 g gouda cheese
- 45 ml (3 T) flat leaf parsley, chopped
to serve: 45 ml (3 T) biltong powder (optional)
- Heat a potjie pot over medium coals.
- Add the oil and fry the onions, bacon, peppers and garlic until the bacon is cooked and the peppers have softened.
- Add the mushrooms and fry until softened.
- Add the Rhodes Whole Kernel Corn
- Add the beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta and the biltong in layers.
- Sprinkle the cheese and the parsley on the top of the last layer.
- Cover the potjie pot with the lid and simmer gently over low heat coals for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the pasta heated though.
- Sprinkle over the biltong powder, if using, and serve hot.
Use wet biltong which can soften easily in the potjie. This dish can be made on a stove–top and finished in the oven if preferred.