- 16 slices white bread
- butter for spreading
- Rhodes Apricot Jam Superfine for spreading
- 8 eggs
- 625 ml (2½ C) milk
- 250 ml (1 C) cream
- 250 ml (1 C) brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 t) cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Make 8 sandwiches by spreading the bread with butter and Rhodes Apricot Jam. Trim the crusts and cut into quarters. Arrange the sandwiches in a baking dish and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together and pour the mixture over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the fridge 1 hour before baking. Take off the plastic wrap and bake in a preheated oven at 160 °C for 30 minutes or until it has risen well and is golden brown.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or custard.