QUICK TOMATO SAUCE
30 ml (2 Tbsp.) Sunflower oil
1 Onion, chopped
1 Celery stick, chopped
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Clove garlic, crushed
2 x 410 g cans Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes
115 g cup of Rhodes Quality Tomato Paste Cup
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
1 kg Butternut, peeled and chopped
15 ml (1 Tbsp.) Olive oil
Zest of one lemon
1 Garlic clove, crushed
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
50 g Feta cheese, crumbled
250 g Cannelloni pasta tubes or large pasta shells
To assemble: 500 ml (2 cups) White sauce, grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley
- 1. Heat the oil, add the vegetables and fry until soft.
- 2. Stir in the garlic, Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes and Rhodes Tomato Paste.
- 3. Bring the sauce to the boil and season to taste.
- 4. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Place the butternut on a baking tray.
- 6. Add the olive oil, lemon zest and garlic, seasoning and toss to mix.
- 7. Roast the butternut in an oven preheated to 180°C for 20 minutes or until the butternut is tender.
- 8. Remove from the oven and mash coarsely with a fork.
- 9. Add the feta cheese.
- 10. Pour a layer of the tomato sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- 11. Fill the pasta shells with the butternut filling and place on top of the tomato sauce.
- 12. Pour the white sauce over the top of the pasta shells.
- 13. Sprinkle the pasta with the parmesan cheese and parsley.
- 14. Return the bake to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the pasta is tender.