Chakalaka, Cabbage and White Bean SoupServes: 6
Economical and nutritious soup prepared in under 30 minutes
30 ml (2 Tbsp.) Sunflower oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
3 Carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3 Sticks of celery, finely chopped
3 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Tomatoes Chopped and Peeled
1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Mild and Spicy Chakalaka
1 lt. (4 cups) prepared vegetable stock
1/2 Small green cabbage, shredded
1 x 410 g can Rhodes Quality Butter Beans, drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To serve: fresh bread
- 1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- 2. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until the vegetables have softened.
- 3. Add the Rhodes Quality Tomato Chopped and Peeled and the Rhodes Quality Mild and Spicy Chakalaka.
- 4. Add the vegetable stock and bay leaves.
- 5. Bring the soup to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6. Add the cabbage and the drained Rhodes Quality Butter Beans and simmer for a few minutes more until the cabbage is wilted.
- 7. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- 8. Serve hot with fresh crusty bread.