4 Chicken breasts, deboned and skin removed
125 ml (½ cup) Cake flour
250 ml (1 cup) Breadcrumbs
80 ml (⅓ cup) Grated parmesan cheese
30 ml (2 Tbsp.) Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Oil for frying
500 ml (2 cups) Rhodes, homemade tomato sauce*
250 ml (1 cup) Mozzarella cheese, grated
65 ml (¼ cup) Fresh basil leaves
To serve: Cooked pasta
- 1. Place each chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and beat with a wooden rolling pin to flatten.
- 2. Place out three bowls. In the first place the cake flour. In the second, lightly whisk the eggs. In the third place the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, and seasoning.
- 3. Dip each chicken fillet into flour and shake to remove any excess.
- 4. Dip each chicken breast into the eggs & then into bread crumb mixture, such that a coat of crumbs adheres evenly to the chicken.
- 5. Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown the chicken on each side, until golden.
- 6. Place a layer of prepared Tomato Sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- 7. Place the chicken on top of the sauce.
- 8. Top each piece with a generous spoonful of the prepared Tomato Sauce.
- 9. Sprinkle over the mozzarella cheese.
- 10. Bake the chicken parmigiana in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
- 11. Sprinkle with the fresh basil leaves and serve over pasta.