- 315 ml (1¼ C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 190 ml (¾ C) polenta / yellow maize
- 5 ml (1 t) baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 190 ml (¾ C) milk
- 250 ml (1 C) Rhodes Cream Style Sweetcorn
- 8 hot dog sausages cut in half
- 16 wooden skewers
- oil for deep frying
- to serve: 1 x 410 g Rhodes Braai Relish and mustard (optional)
- Mix the flour, salt, polenta and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs and the milk and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Leave the batter to stand for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Stir the Rhodes Cream Style Sweetcorn into the batter.
- The batter must be thick enough to hold on the sausage, but not so thick that it is difficult to dip the sausages into the batter. Correct the consistency if necessary, using a little extra flour if the batter is too runny, or a little extra milk if the batter is too thick.
- Skewer the sausages onto the wooden skewers.
- Heat the oil to a constant 190˚C.
- Dip each sausage into the batter until well coated.
- Deep fry in the oil and remove when golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the excess oil on paper towel.
- Serve hot with Rhodes Braai Relish and mustard.
Cooking TipThe sweetcorn batter consistency should lie somewhere between a pancake batter and a crumpet batter.