For the vetkoek
- 1 kg (7 C) cake flour
- 5 ml (1 t) salt
- 10 ml (2 t) sugar
- 65 ml (¼ C) butter
- 1 packet instant yeast (10 g)
- 750 – 875 ml (3 – 3½ C) warm water
- sunflower oil for frying
For the curried mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 15 ml (1 T) sunflower oil
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 x 410 g can Rhodes Mixed Vegetables in Curry Sauce
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles crumbs.
- Add the yeast and stir well to mix.
- Then add enough of the warm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise until it has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough down and divide it into 30 equal pieces.
- Roll into balls and place on a floured baking sheet, leaving enough space between them to expand and rise.
- Cover and leave to rise in a warm spot for another 30 minutes.
- Fry the vetkoek in a saucepan half-filled with heated oil over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- To make the curried mince, fry the onion in the oil until soft.
- Add the mince and fry until cooked.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Add the Rhodes Mixed Vegetables in Curry Sauce.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve the vetkoek hot, filled with the curried mince.
Serve any left-over vetkoek with Rhodes Apricot Jam for a sweet treat.