LENTSWE BHENGU AND ZOLA NENE’S TROPICAL CRUMBLE CAKE
Recipe by Lentswe Bhengu and Zola NeneA delicious, exotic festive bake to serve with afternoon coffee. This melt-in-your-mouth tropical crumble cake is the perfect indulgence to keep up the summer smiles.
100 g Butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
150 g Castor sugar
2 Large eggs, lightly beaten
2.5 ml (½ tsp) Vanilla extract
125 g Cake flour
75 g Ground almonds
5 ml (1 tsp.) Baking powder
100 g Double cream Greek yoghurt
1 x 432 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces, drained
1 x 115 g tub Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp
30 g Flaked almonds
250 g tub Crème fraiche, to serve
50 g Cake flour
25 g Cold butter, cut into cubes
35 g Treacle sugar
MethodMETHOD For the crumble:
- Rub the butter and flour together with your fingertips until a crumbly mixture is achieved. Stir in the treacle sugar.
- Keep aside until needed.
- Heat the oven to 180˚C / 160˚C fan.
- Grease and line the base of a 20 cm springform cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then add the vanilla and eggs, a little at a time, mixing properly after each addition.
- Sift together the cake flour and baking powder, then add the ground almonds to the dry mixture.
- Fold 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) of the dry mixture into the batter, then add the rest along with the yoghurt, alternating.
- Mix the Rhodes Quality Granadilla Pulp into the batter.
- Add half of the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Pieces to the batter and mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Scatter the crumble onto the batter, then scatter the remaining Rhodes Pineapple pieces on top of the crumble. Finally, sprinkle the flaked almonds onto the cake.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool down in the tin for about 15 minutes.
- Using a palette knife, gently slide the blade around the edges of the cake tin.
- Unclasp the springform tin, remove the baking paper.
- Slide cake onto a serving dish.
- Serve with crème fraiche.
Best served with Zola Nene’s Peach Frozen Yoghurt with Cherry Ripple as an accompaniment.