No-bake Honey Milk TartServes: 8
One of South Africa’s favourite teatime treats. Try our simple stovetop honey version. You can also use a pre-baked pastry case instead of the biscuit base if that’s more to your taste.
- 200 g sweet tea biscuits, crushed
- 125 ml (½ C) butter
- For the filling:
- 750 ml (3 C) milk
- 65 ml (¼ C) Rhodes Honey
- 4 eggs
- 65 ml (¼ c) cup sugar
- 45 ml (3 T) cake flour
- 45 ml (3 T) corn flour
- 30 ml (2 T) butter
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla or almond essence
- to sprinkle: ground cinnamon
- Crush the biscuits and stir in the butter.
- Press the crumbs into the base of a pie dish.
- Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Place the milk in a medium saucepan and bring it to the heat.
- Whisk the Rhodes Honey, eggs, sugar, and both flours together.
- Pour the hot milk over the honey mixture and strain the custard through a sieve back into the saucepan.
- Return the saucepan to medium heat, whisking continuously until the custard thickens.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and the essence.
- Pour the hot custard into the prepared pie dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the tart with ground cinnamon.
- Cool completely before serving.
Use a pre-baked pastry case instead of the biscuit base if preferred.