- salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 125 ml (½ C) cake flour
- 1 kg mutton, diced in even pieces
- sunflower oil for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 ml grated ginger root
- 10 ml (2 t) chopped garlic cloves
- 10 ml (2 t) mild curry powder
- 10 ml (2 t) ground coriander
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cumin
- 2.5 ml (½ t) ground nutmeg
- 5 ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
- 2 x 410 g cans Rhodes Tomatoes Chopped & Peeled
- 45 ml (3 T) Rhodes Smooth Apricot Jam
- 250 ml (1 C) prepared chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 x 410 g cans Rhodes Cross Cut Green Beans, drained
to serve: with cooked white rice
- Season the flour in a shallow bowl, toss the mutton pieces in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- In batches, brown the meat in the oil and set aside.
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic to the pan and fry until soft and add all the spices.
- Return the meat to the pan.
- Add the Rhodes Chopped and Peeled Tomatoes, Rhodes Smooth Apricot Jam, chicken stock and bay leaves.
- Allow to simmer over very low heat for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add the Rhodes Green Beans and heat through.
- Season to taste and serve over rice.
Use lamb in place of mutton for a more tender cut of meat.