1 x 825 g can Rhodes Quality Pear Halves in Syrup, drained and cut into smaller pieces
200 g (1 cup) Brown sugar
100 g (1 cup) Oats
100 g (¾ cup) Self-raising flour, sifted
1 ml (¼ tsp.) Salt
2.5 ml (½ tsp.) Ground ginger
125 ml (½ cup) Butter, cubed
30 ml (2 Tbsp.) Hinds Vanilla Custard Powder
45 ml (3 Tbsp.) Sugar
500 ml (2 cups) Milk, divided
- 1. Place the chopped Rhodes Quality Pear Halves in the bottom of a pie dish.
- 2. Make the crumble by placing the brown sugar, oats, flour, salt and ginger in a bowl.
- 3. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until evenly incorporated.
- 4. Sprinkle the ginger crumble over the pears.
- 5. Bake the crumble in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25 - 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crisp.
- 6. In the meantime, prepare the custard.
- 7. Mix Hinds Vanilla Custard powder, sugar and 45 ml (3 Tbsp.) of the milk together.
- 8. Bring the remaining milk to the boil in a saucepan, pour the custard mix into boiling milk, and stir well until thickened to a pouring consistency.
- 9. Serve the crumble warm with the prepared custard.