- 250 ml (1 C) cream
- 125 ml (½ C) brown sugar
- 65 ml (¼ C) butter
- 500 g peeled pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 250 ml (1 C) cake flour
- 10 ml (2 t) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ t) salt
- 65 ml (¼ C) Rhodes Honey
- 1 egg
- 65 ml (¼ C) milk
Sunflower oil for frying
Cinnamon sugar for dusting
- To make the caramel sauce, place the cream, butter and brown sugar into a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring often until all the sugar has dissolved and the sauce is smooth.
- Set aside.
- Boil the pumpkin in water until soft and tender.
- Drain and mash and allow to cool.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and the Rhodes Honey and stir well to mix.
- Whisk in the egg and the milk until the batter is quite smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat.
- Drop in spoonfuls of the fritter mixture into the oil, cooking only 3 or 4 fritters at a time.
- Fry until golden, turning the fritters over in the oil during cooking.
- Drain lightly on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately with the caramel sauce.