Upside Down Pineapple CupcakesServes: 6
65 ml (¼ cup) Butter
125 ml (½ cup) Light brown sugar
1 ml (¼ tsp.) Ground nutmeg
1 x 825 g can Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings in Syrup, drained
6 Glacé cherries
125 ml (½ cup) Butter
125 ml (½ cup) White sugar
315 ml (1¼ cup) Cake flour
10 ml (2 tsp.) Baking powder
2.5 ml (½ tsp.) Salt
125 ml (½ cup) Milk
To serve: 250 ml (1 cup) Cream, stiffly beaten
- 1. Melt 65 ml (¼ cup) of butter and pour it into the bottoms of a cupcake pan which has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- 2. Sprinkle the brown sugar and ground nutmeg over the melted butter.
- 3. Arrange the Rhodes Quality Pineapple Rings, trimmed to fit, on top of the butter and sugar layer.
- 4. Place one cherry in the centre of each cupcake
- 5. Cream 125 ml (½ cup) butter and the white sugar together until light and beat in the egg.
- 6. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk, whisking to create a smooth batter.
- 7. Divide the batter and spoon evenly over the pineapple.
- 8. Bake the cupcakes in a preheated oven at 180°C for 35 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
- 9. Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a plate. Serve warm with cream